I understand nonbelievers not believing in hell, but I have never been able to understand why a person that calls himself a Christian doesn’t. In order to conclude hell doesn’t exist, you have to have an antichrist bible that edits it out, you have to choose to omit large portions of the Bible so you don’t read what’s uncomfortable for you, or you believe God is a liar.
There are 54 verses with hell in them, 5 verses about the lake of fire, about a dozen verses about torment related to eternal punishment, and Jesus spoke about hell four times as much as Heaven. online Bible
Devils believe in hell and don’t want to go, yet people joke about it.
– Matt 8:28-29 “28And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. 29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?” (See Mark 5:1-20)
– Devils believe who God is and tremble (James 2:19). One of the reasons? God is all-powerful, all-knowing and speaks truth. He said He will put them in hell. They know that time is coming.
Why did Jesus die?
The purpose of salvation is to reconcile us to God because we are under His wrath for our sins. Jesus took death as a spotless, sinless, perfect sacrificial Lamb so we would not have to suffer eternal punishment for our sins against a Holy God. Whether or not you think eternal punishment is fair doesn’t matter. God is the One we offended. The ones doing the offending don’t get to decide the punishment. If you don’t believe me, go sit in a courtroom and watch who gets to pass the sentence – the judge or the defendant.
Jesus said those who believe on Him have everlasting life (not experience a second death). If death, the end of living was the final punishment for not believing God, then Jesus’s death becomes a way to help people get additional rewards in Heaven vs. actually “saving” them from anything. Every person living will physically die at some point because that first act of disobedience brought death. Heb 9:27-28 “27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.” It doesn’t say those who are saved don’t have to die.
“We’re all God’s children, and God wouldn’t send His children to hell!”
The problem with that logic is that you’re assuming all God’s creation are automatically all God’s children. The LORD never said that. God doesn’t send His children to hell, but the devil’s children will be dragged off and hurled into hell. Matt 23:33 “33Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?”
John 8:42-47 “42Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 43Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.”
Romans 8:14-17 “14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.”
Gal 3:26 “26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.”
Eph 5:1-10 “1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.”
1 John 3:1 “1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.”
1 John 3:7-10 “7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.”
“My god wouldn’t send anyone to hell.”
That’s because your god is a figment of your imagination. The God of the Bible created hell to be eternal torture. God doesn’t lie (Num 23:19). Jesus is God (multiple verses such as John 1:1). Jesus is Truth (John 14:6). Jesus said those who do not believe Who He says He is will die in their sins (John 8:24). Matt 7:21-23 “21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” – What day? The day of judgment after death.
Jesus was a fire & brimstone preacher! He taught about a literal, burning hell & lake of fire that is not extinguished, and the person sent experiences conscious, continual pain.
– Matt 251:13 – The wise virgins were prepared for the bridegrooms return and accepted into the wedding banquet while the foolish virgins were locked out.
– Matt 25:14-30 – The good and faithful servant received rewards while the wicked servant was cast into outer darkness where there is weeping & gnashing of teeth.
– Matt 25:31-46 – The sheep (children of God) will join the Son of man Who sits on His throne of glory in Heaven while the goats (children of the devil) will be thrown into everlasting punishment.
– Matt 13:24-30 – The wheat (children of God) were gathered into the barn (Heaven) while the tares (children of the devil) are gathered, bundled and burned (bound and thrown into hell). See verses 36 through 43 to see Jesus explain this parable to His disciples.
– Matt 13:47-51 – The good vessels (children of God) are kept while the bad vessels (children of the devil) are cast into a furnace of fire.
– Luke 13:23:30 – Jesus tells the people once the time is come, it will be too late to enter once the door is shut. Those locked out of the kingdom of Heaven will have weeping and gnashing of teeth.
– Matt 18:23-35 – Jesus compares the Kingdom of Heaven to a king who forgave his servant a huge debt while that servant didn’t show the same forgiveness to someone who owed him. That wicked servant was delivered over to the tormentors.
– Matt 18:8-9 “8Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. 9And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.”
– Mark 9:43-48 “43And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 44Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 45And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 46Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 47And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: 48Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.”
– Matt 7:24-29 – The wise builder places his faith in Jesus (the rock) while the foolish hears the words of Jesus and dismisses them (sand- faith placed elsewhere). When judgment comes, the foolish man loses it all.
– Matt 7:16-20 – The good tree (children of God) will produce good fruit. A corrupt tree (children of the devil) will bring forth evil fruit and will be cut down and thrown into fire.
– Rev 20:12-14 “12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.” – Hell is basically a holding cell of torment that will eventually be tossed into the lake of fire along with whoever is in it.
– John 15:5-6 “5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.”
– Luke 16:19-31 – Parables are introduced or indicated by a phrase like “He spake this parable”. There is no indication this is a parable. There’s a good chance the people knew this “certain” rich man & Lazarus. Jesus mentioned Abraham which showed the Pharisees that they would not automatically inherit Heaven because they are his descendants. He also addressed the prophets and Scriptures. Jesus describes hell as being: hot, tormenting, unable to escape (remember the “gates” of hell wouldn’t prevail against His church) and completely conscious (this man has his memory). There is no indication there is any time break between death and awaking in hell.
– Rev 14:9-11 “9And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.”
Satan will be cast into hell (Isa 14:15), but he’s currently roaming the earth (1 Peter 5:8) actively seeking to keep people from God’s truth. One of the biggest deceptions out there is that there is no hell. If you deny there is a hell, you are rejecting the God of the Bible Who sent His Son to take your punishment to keep you from suffering His wrath poured out on you in hell. To deny hell is to say Jesus’s death was in vain and that He is a liar. Every word in the Bible is there for a reason. God doesn’t have to scare anybody into believing Him by making up a fictitious place. He’s GOD! He doesn’t need our vote of if hell should exist, who should go or how many should be permitted. Lot’s family was the only family the angels pushed to get to safety while the others suffered the wrath of God with fire and brimstone. Noah’s family members (8) were the only people on the planet to survive the flood. Just because the majority ignore God’s warning doesn’t mean He’s going to alter anything. Hell has no air conditioner and doesn’t cool off one bit because you don’t believe it exists – you will eventually. Eternity is hard for us to understand because we live in a world constructed around time. The punishment of hell is more than our minds can bear, so we choose to stop thinking about it. Once we die, we will be intensely aware of the reality of the spiritual world and the finality of God’s judgment. Everyone will believe in Jesus then. Where we will spend eternity is determined by what we do with the Words of Jesus now.
John 3:36 “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”