“10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.” – Isa 43:10
“6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.” – Gal 1:6-9
Mormon Jesus & beliefs video summary
In case there were any questions on whether Mormonism has a racist history, this is a clip from about 30 years ago stating Blacks were not allowed to be priests because “the Lord” wanted it that way (this is shortly after Blacks were permitted to become Mormon). God never divided people on the basis of color. People were grouped by nation, tongues/languages, families, and beliefs. God did not punish people based on the color of their skin.
This testimony from a former Mormon is probably one of the best to explain what they believe and their sincerity but how they are not part of the Christian faith. Yes, they believe in “Jesus,” but they don’t believe the Jesus of the Bible.
Dr. Ed Decker – Is Mormonism Christian?
Some of the beliefs of Mormons:
v “Jesus Christ” appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 with the purpose of restoring His church and gospel in fullness and purity. He was the prophet chosen to establish the Mormon faith (basically said the church was “apostate” between the time of the apostles dying and Smith establishing Mormonism). “Moroni”, an angel, came to Joseph to show him where gold plates were buried and helped him translate this holy book. Mormon.org
- Matthew 24 – Jesus warns us that people will be deceived into believe He has returned and that there would be many false prophets. He stated His return would be with great power and glory so all would see. Jesus never stated He would make personal appearances to people centuries later after establishing His church. He appeared to the apostles of the Bible, gave His Word, and now we have a closed cannon. Smith’s version suggests Jesus ascended into Heaven, lied about His return and decided to visit the Americas for a tour.
– see Gal 1:6-9 – Unlike the early apostles, Smith is not known for any miracles such as healing that God used as signs to prove He had actually appointed and sent this “prophet”.
- Deut 18:20-22 “20But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. 21And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.” Most of Smith’s prophecies were vague or outright did not come to pass. The LORD would not send a messenger with false prophecies and teachings that contradict His Holy Scriptures.
v God, The Father, used to be a man on another planet and became God. He has a wife (a goddess-type mother), and they have billions of spirit children. All of us are God’s “literal” children (under God’s Family).
– John 4:24 “24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” God is not a man that He should lie.
– The Bible states there are children of God and children of the devil. (1 John 3:10, Eph 5:6, Gal 3:26, John 1:12, Romans 8:14)
– Mark 12:18-27 Jesus tells the Sadducees men & women will not be married or given in marriage as on earth, yet the link referenced above shows Mormons teach marriages are made to last forever even past death (under “marriages made in Heaven”).
v Jesus and Lucifer (Satan) are brothers (offspring of God & his wife) and, in essence, denies The Trinity. It also makes them “our” brothers since God is our “literal” Father.
– John 1:1-3 states Jesus is God and was in the beginning the Creator. Lucifer is a created being (Ezekiel 28:13-18).
v If you are a good enough Mormon, you can become a god with your own planet and a harem of celestial wives to make many spiritual babies.
– There are numerous references to the fact that there is ONE GOD (see Isa 45:5-6). Satan was cast down because he wanted the worship of the Lord. What’s the point of having millions of gods with many multiple wives (when you can only have one on earth) to make spiritual babies?
v Salvation by faith alone in Jesus is not enough. Good works are required and possibly our own blood spilled to atone for certain sins. “The Book of Mormon states that we are saved by Christ’s Atonement after all we can do – this is the Mormon balancing of faith and works.” Whymormonism.org, see FAQ on main site:
“Jesus Christ did what only He could do in atoning for our sins. To make His Atonement fully effective in our individual lives, we must have faith in Christ, repent of our sins, be baptized and confirmed by one having authority, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, obey God’s commandments, receive sacred ordinances, and strive to become like Him. As we do these things through His Atonement, we can return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father forever.” – This is an insult to the Lord Jesus Christ. If your Jesus can’t save, then he isn’t God. Jesus Christ of the Bible saves and saves without our assistance to complete our atonement.
– Eph 2:8-9 “8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
v Book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible.
– 2 Tim 3:16-17 “16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
v Jesus was/is a polygamist.
– No support for that anywhere. Jesus is the BrideGroom of the Church.
v Oh! Of course tithing is absolutely mandatory. Not tithing could have you put out of the temple or cost you spiritually.
– Biblical New Testament giving does not dictate how much should be given nor does it attach any curses or penalties for not giving a certain amount.
v Women need men (not Jesus) to marry them and be their celestial husbands so they can be saved. mormon women
- Gal 3:26-28 “26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” Christian women have “roles”, but they are not “lesser” in the eyes of God.
v The book of mormon tells people read, pray to know it’s true and feel peace & assurance. book of mormon – D&C sect 9:8-9 (See last video for more information on this.)
– The Bible tells us to study and be prepared to give a response for the hope the lies within us (1 Peter 3:15), gives names, places, times and such so we can verify Biblical accounts and tells us not to trust our feelings/emotions or heart because it’s deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9).
v According to Mormons, God commanded His people such as (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David & Solomon) to marry multiple women at various times in the Bible. (polygamy) However, that is not supported by Scripture.
– The Bible has multiple passages about covenant marriage being between one man and one woman. There were many things permitted in the OT, but it doesn’t mean God commanded it. Every time a man had more than one wife, there were problems in the family such as jealousy over who had more time with the husband, envy when one wife had more children, and who would inherit what from the father.
61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse aanother, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.
62 And if he have aten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.
63 But if one or either of the ten virgins, after she is espoused, shall be with another man, she has committed adultery, and shall be destroyed; for they are given unto him to amultiply and replenish the earth, according to my commandment, and to fulfil the promise which was given by my Father before the foundation of the world, and for their exaltation in the eternal worlds, that they may bear the souls of men; for herein is the work of my Father continued, that he may be bglorified. – Doctrine & Covenants
“1–6, Exaltation is gained through the new and everlasting covenant; 7–14, The terms and conditions of that covenant are set forth; 15–20, Celestial marriage and a continuation of the family unit enable men to become gods; 21–25, The strait and narrow way leads to eternal lives; 26–27, The law is given relative to blasphemy against the Holy Ghost; 28–39, Promises of eternal increase and exaltation are made to prophets and Saints in all ages; 40–47, Joseph Smith is given the power to bind and seal on earth and in heaven; 48–50, The Lord seals upon him his exaltation; 51–57, Emma Smith is counseled to be faithful and true; 58–66, Laws governing plural marriage are set forth.” – D&C 132
“Lifting the Veil of Polygamy” – Polygamy is essential in order to attain godhood/become divine (see D&C above).
v “Temples” are the most sacred structures on earth and the Lord’s houses used for prayers, worship, ordinances “needed for eternal life”, etc. (temple use)
- 1 Cor 6:19 “19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”
v Their concept of hell is…well,… (belief about hell) practically nullifies Jesus’s whole purpose in coming to earth. According to their theology, almost everyone will eventually be resurrected and live in some type of glory. As you really have to be is a “good person” and not extremely wicked. In fact, their teaching states you get to repent after you die and are taught, which would mean only those who aren’t able to put 2 & 2 together after they physically see the spirit world would go to hell. That defeats the purpose of faith.
– However Jesus said, “13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matt 7:13-14) Jesus has a track record of honesty, so I’m going to believe what He said.
Mormons claim Christianity and belief in Jesus, but their practices contradict Christian doctrine. They claim to believe the Bible as the inspired Word of God, yet much of it has to be ignored in order to choose to believe their scriptures because the book of mormon is in direct opposition to the Bible. While they are sincere, they are sincerely blinded and have been led to believe a false gospel. There are many that are trained to evangelize and recruit. I’ve seen them multiple times in my complex. If we are sincere about reaching the lost, and they are sincere about serving the True God, then we need to be take time to speak to them about what is true and what isn’t. This isn’t a trivial matter. Their souls are just as precious as ours. If we were in this belief system, we’d want someone to tell us the truth.
Former False Prophet (of Mormonism) Andy Poland Talks about Mormonism and Feelings – Mormons are taught to know the truth based on their emotions.