[shi-kee-nuh, -kahy-; Sephardic Hebrew shuh-khee-nah; Ashkenazic Hebrew shuh-khee-nuh] Show IPA
noun, Theology .
the presence of God on earth or a symbol or manifestation of His presence.
Also, She·ki·nah, Shechinah.
1655–65; < Hebrew shēkhīnāh
I’m sure by now that you’ve heard of the “shekinah glory” or the “glory cloud.” This is supposed to be the name given to the cloud that would appear during some times of worship, over the Ark of the Covenant, the cloud that led the Israelites through the wilderness, and even other various appearances such as in the burning bush or on the mountaintops where God’s prophets were permitted a glimpse into His majesty. If you attend some of these rallies for Christ or fire conferences, you’ll hear pastors and worship leaders instruct people on how to pray and worship so that the glory of God will descend because they wanted a physical manifestation of Him. Curiosity led me to look it up, but I couldn’t find it in the Bible. Assuming I didn’t know how to find it, I believed it was the Hebrew name for what I was reading in English. BUT…then I had doubts. Revisiting this topic, I discovered it’s a mighty deception.
Shekinah/Shechinah/Sakinah – The first person recorded to have this name was Sakinah bint Husayn, the youngest female child of Husayn bin Ali, an imam who helped Mohammad spread the Islamic belief. Doesn’t it seem odd that a Muslim would name his child after a Christian event? It might if Shekinah had anything to do with Christianity. Shekinah is not recorded anywhere in the Bible in English, Greek, or Hebrew; however, sakinah is recorded in the Qu’ran – http://dukeofmerovingian.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/sakinah-or-shekhinah-in-islam/
—> This is the Catholic version of creation with God reaching down and touching Adam to bring him to life instead of breathing life into his nostrils as the Bible says. Who’s the chick on “God’s” arm? – http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-sistine-chapel-photos/slides/ceiling-adam2-wga
That little red-headed chick is Shekinah, the “queen of heaven.” You’re probably more familiar with her other names – Sophia, Mary (if you pray to her), Isis, Diana, Asherah, Ishtar. Shekinah is a female goddess. Now for the kicker – Shekinah is supposed to be the “revealed” name of the Holy Spirit. These people state the Holy Spirit is the Lord’s wife/girlfriend/consort and the female counterpart to the Trinity.
There are many people today teaching that the Holy Spirit is a woman (which allows them to get rid of Biblical submission or usurping authority) because they decided God had to have a wife to make us.
– This includes stating that since Adam & Eve were made in God’s image, He must have male and female body parts. Well, technically, He made “Adam” in His image and likeness and then made “Eve” to fit Adam. Eve came later in creation, so we can’t assume God has female parts (especially since He’s “Spirit”) or that Adam had girlie parts inside him that God took out to make Eve (yes, a famous televangelist has taught that).
– Since we must be born naturally of a woman, they conclude the Spirit must give birth to us similarly.
– The Holy Spirit is described as a “helper.” So the next leap of logic says that woman is a “helpmeet,” so the Holy Spirit must be a woman since He’s a “helper.”
There are several things they use to reach this conclusion, but the best way to see if the Holy Spirit is a woman is to read what another Person of the Godhead said.
– “16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that HE may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth HIM not, neither knoweth HIM: but ye know HIM; for HE dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” – John 14:16-17, 26
– “26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, HE shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.” – John 15:26-27
– “7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send HIM unto you. 8 And when HE is come, HE will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, HE will guide you into all truth: for HE shall not speak of HIMSELF; but whatsoever HE shall hear, that shall HE speak: and HE will shew you things to come. 14 HE shall glorify me: for HE shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.” – John 16:7-14
Since Jesus is omniscient, I’m sure He understands gender pronouns. Jesus did not call the Holy Ghost a “she” nor an “it.” The Holy Spirit is a Person and is addressed in the masculine.
On to the question of the day…
Where do we get the term Shekinah? What is it?
– “Shekinah is the English spelling of a grammatically feminine Hebrew word that means the dwelling or settling, and is used to denote the dwelling or settling divine presence of God, especially in the Temple in Jerusalem. The Shekinah is held by many to represent the feminine attributes of the presence of God. It is the shakti – female energy of Hindu gods. The nearest Christian concept to the Shekinah is that of the Holy Spirit. The Shekinah is referred to as manifest in the Tabernacle and the Temple in Jerusalem throughout Rabbinic literature.” – http://www.crystalinks.com/shekinah.html (Look at the picture.)
—->Shekinah is derived from Jewish mysticism known as cabbalah/kabbalah. The Talmud is a book that basically blasphemes the Bible and is not connected with Judaism that follows the Torah and not Christianity in any way, shape, or form. This is Gnosticism.
Please take note of the very first image we are presented on the page. It is a hexagram. This is commonly referred to as the Star of David, but it is the Seal of Solomon and used in mystery religions. It was created after Solomon took strange wives that led his heart away from the Lord. The two triangles mean “As above, so below” – the theme of those following Baphomet, the half man, half goat, androgynous god of freemasonry…also known as Lucifer. Included in this religion is the practice of sexual relations/rituals of humans and angelic fallen entities.
“Judaism is a monotheistic religion, strongly connected to a patriarchal God -Yahweh. It may surprise many people to discover that a goddess was associated with Judaism from its conception, and continued to play an important part, in various forms, to the present. The goddess is best known as Shekhina, a Talmudic term describing the manifestation of God’s presence on earth.
While the Bible does not mention the name Shekhina, she is nevertheless bound to extremely old traditions, and closely relates to the ancient goddesses. Particularly significant is the Canaanite goddess Ashera who, at the beginning of the Israelites’ settlement in the land of Canaan, was often referred to as Yahweh’s Consort.”
“From the first covenant, Yahweh presented an image of a harsh, daunting God. His character almost demanded the birth of an entity like Shekhina. Also, He could not be seen by human eyes, and only a few prophets heard His voice. Yet almost every religion shows that human nature seeks intimacy with a deity.
The manifestation of a loving maternal entity, ready to defend her people even from God Himself, brings a feeling of comfort that a paternal, invisible entity like Yahweh cannot bestow upon His worshipers.” http://www.crystalinks.com/shekinah.html
“Like any good mother, she could punish too. When she behaved violently, her character came closer to her powerful aspect of the great Asherah, Yahweh’s Canaanite Consort. She descended to Earth to punish Adam, Eve, and the Serpent when they sinned at the Garden of Eden. She confused the builders of the Tower of Babel. She drowned the Egyptians at the Red Sea crossing during Exodus. When needed, she even killed righteous people. Since the beginning of time, six people – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Aaron, and Miriam — could not be taken by the Angel of Death because of their perfect purity. Someone had to bring their souls to Heaven, and only Shekhina could do that. By kissing them, she released their souls from bondage to this world.
In a particularly touching story, after kissing and releasing Moses’ soul, she carried his body for a long distance on her wings, to his secret grave. This myth connects Shekhina to another ancient goddess, Anath. According to the legends, Moses had to live apart from his wife so that he would always be pure enough to communicate with the Shekhina. This gave rise to the curious myth, later elaborated on in the Kabbalah, that Moses and Shekhina lived as husband and wife. The image of Shekhina, carrying the dead body of her husband to his final resting place, resembles the myth of Anath, carrying the body of her husband Baal to his burial place.” – http://www.crystalinks.com/shekinah.html
—-> Gnostics teach that we all have a touch of divinity in us but we are trapped in our earthly bodies. They teach that Yahweh, an evil god, created us and trapped us in matter, but Sophia came to free us and show us how to reach our god state. This is the same belief we see through Shekinah. Of course, this all contradicts the Bible with this goddess taking the Lord’s glory and then having Moses separate from his wife so he can be “pure enough” to sleep with a deity, but let’s read just one example.
– “9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.” – Jude 1:9 – Michael, the archangel, buried the body of Moses. No female anything is mentioned regarding this burial.
“The Kabbalah greatly elaborated on the theme of the feminine aspect of God. She would appear as the powerful Matronit, the controversial Lilith, and finally, as the glorious figure of Shabbat Hamalka – Queen, Bride of God, celebrated every Saturday by Jews all over the world as they light the Sabbath candles.” – crystallinks
Who is the Mediator between God and Man?
“5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.” – 1 Tim 2:5-6
Again, it is robbery to claim the glory that belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ belongs to another, yet that is “Shekinah’s” position.
“Shekinah means “presence of God” & relates to the feminine aspect of the Holy Trinity. It is the energy that sanctifies from within the dimension of matter or the Holy Spirit. Shekinah is the visible manifestation of the divine presence.” http://shekinah.elysiumgates.com/
—–>The Talmud teaches that Shekinah is everywhere – omnipresent. She is the cabbalistic feminine aspect of God aka the holy bride – intermediary between God & man. She rules conception of children, sexuality & sanctity of marriage – cosmic mother. (She is a pagan goddess.) “She is said to have created the world.”
– The person that wrote this article is a “spiritual” Protestant that doesn’t support any particular religious dogma/belief. What Christian does not care if the next person knows the true Jesus? Our eternal destination rests on the truth contained within the Bible.
“She may be distinguished from the ‘Canaanite’ Mother Goddess Asherah who the ancient Hebrews honored until about 622 B.C.E. when King Josiah removed the Asherah from the Jerusalem temple and destroyed the outlying shrines. While she does not appear by name in the five books of Moses, the explicators of the Old Testament refer to her in interpreting the text. For example, when Moses encounters the burning bush, he is told to remove his shoes and prepare himself to receive the Shekhinah. According to the rabbis, the choice of the simple thorn bush as the vehicle for the revelation was to emphasize the Shekhinah’s presence, since nothing in nature can exist without her. In Proverbs, we are introduced to the Divine Mother as Chochmah (Wisdom), who was present from the time of creation as the loving consort and coarchitect with the YHVH, who also reflects the association of the Shekinah with humanity.
In the Talmudic view, actions harmful to other human beings or the earth cause the Shechinah to flee, and she rises upward to the Seven Heavens.’ On the other side of the scale are the positive actions of humanity which attract her presence downward to the earth.
The other way that the Shechinah is drawn downward is when people are in need of her as a comforting presence. The rabbis tell us she hovers at the bed of all sick individuals and is seen by the dying as they exit the world into the great light. According to tradition, the Shechinah comes to the good and true at death, giving them the opportunity to go straight up the center of the heavenly ladder in a moment of pure consciousness, into the merger with the Divine. The Shechinah is intimately connected with expressions of human love, particularly romantic and marital bliss. It is she who blesses the happy couple; the glow of lovers is considered to be the reflection of her presence, The scholars of the Spanish and Safed schools also understood that the Shechinah could “appear” to inspired individuals (or “Prophets”), and that the form adopted would be a reflection of the divine purpose (Novick 204-14).
Shekhinah is identified with the eagle’s wings both in Exodus and Revelation and is thus the ultimate mystery the nagual of the shaman’s vision quest exemplified in Moses’ ‘burning bush’. She is also identified as the feminine moon deity (Wolkenstain and Kramer xv).” http://shekinah.elysiumgates.com/
– Well, isn’t that a twist? First, ancient Hebrews worshiped the Lord while idolators worshiped the false goddess. Why? “4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: 5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” – Deut 6:4-5
– Co-architect? Where do we hear the phrase “Great Architect”? Freemasonry. They pay homage to Lucifer. Just because there is personification used in the Bible doesn’t mean “wisdom” = female Holy Spirit.
– Let’s see why the Bible tells Moses to remove his shoes. “2 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. 3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. 4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. 5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.” – Exo 3:2-5 – Yeah, it says nothing about preparing to receive anything. Instead it says the Lord is holy and may not be approached in just any manner.
– Their legends state she comes down when comfort is needed, for “good” people, and escorts people up the ladder into the great light. Every secret society claims to have access to the great light, but the Bible states that Jesus is the Light. Stairs is another symbol in freemasonry for ascending to heaven. There are no “good” people. The Bible says there is none good, so no “good” deed is going to bring a deity to earth to reward us. However, “bad” deeds cause her to run away. What kind of god hides from people? She can kill people, but her feelings get hurt when they’re not nice and cause her to pout and hide? Okay.
Mike Hoggard – Shekinah (10 min clip)
– Overview warning
With great pain and disgust, I include the website of an “apostle prophetess” that gives her “revelation knowledge” of the “secrets” that “God” revealed to her while she was taking a bath and bathing in the deeper anointing because she prayed the angel would stir her bath water. I would give more information about it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to listen to a second of her 1.5 hour video.
“Prophecy 90 – What is the name of the Ruach ha Kodesh/Holy Spirit?” – I couldn’t read through this entire page because I was concerned I might injure myself because I kept shaking my head and rolling my eyes. – http://www.almightywind.com/prophecy/proph90.htm
Where did she live? How is she known to people?
“In earlier times, God was seen as either dwelling in the clouds or in high places like mountains or very high hills. With the construction of the Ark of the Covenant, and then the construction of the Temple, a part of the Godhead came to dwell in the Ark and then in the Temple. This could not be the male God, the God of the Sky and of High Places. So Shekinah, formerly known as Asherah, a Goddess of Earth and Sea, came to dwell in the Ark of the Covenant and then in the Temple.
Originally it was Asherah who dwelled in the Temple as the Bride of God, His representative there. But after the “reforms” of King Josiah, Asherah worship was forbidden in the Temple. Still, the Jews knew that their Lady was still living there as their Queen and the representative of El, their God. So Asherah evolved. She began to be seen as the presence of God, and less as a separate entity. She became Shekinah, which means something like She who dwells (from the Hebrew shakhan, which means the act of dwelling). However, Asherah did not really change. She was always the representative of Her Husband, just as He was always HER representative. She, an Earth Goddess, was also Queen of Heaven. He, as Sky God, was also Ruler of Earth. This occurred only through Their marriage. So, it was not really that Asherah worship ever changed much within Judaism, or that Asherah Herself changed; only, it was made to look like it had changed to fool the patriarchal priests.” – http://www.northernway.org/shekinah.html
– Stop. Rewind. “1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God. 30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.” – Lev 26:1, 30 God instructed His people not to worship anyone other than Him. If they did, there would be consequences. The Lord always instructed His people to tear down altars, images, & high places for worship. If His “wife” was being worshiped, and she was part of Him, then He would not command it to be torn down.
– The “queen of heaven” had many names as an idol, and this is one passage against her. “24 Moreover Jeremiah said unto all the people, and to all the women, Hear the word of the Lord, all Judah that are in the land of Egypt: 25 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows. 26 Therefore hear ye the word of the Lord, all Judah that dwell in the land of Egypt; Behold, I have sworn by my great name, saith the Lord, that my name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, The Lord God liveth. 27 Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them. 28 Yet a small number that escape the sword shall return out of the land of Egypt into the land of Judah, and all the remnant of Judah, that are gone into the land of Egypt to sojourn there, shall know whose words shall stand, mine, or their’s.” – Jer 44:24-28 – Whenever anything was worshiped besides the Lord, especially in HIS house, there was punishment. Goddess worship was NEVER permitted.
Where do we see people claiming to follow Christ worshiping this devil?
“Unfortunately, Shekinah has been all but lost to Christianity. Elements of Her remain in Mother Mary, who was perhaps Shekinah’s incarnation. Mary Theotokos, as She is called, actually held the presence of God (Yeshua) within Her. She is known as the Queen of Heaven, but she is the representative of God to us and delivers our prayers to Him, according to Catholic tradition. [Yes, this is Marian worship.] Her apparitions are much more frequent than the apparitions of Yeshua, and the Father never appears. It seems that She is truly His representative to us, because (as we know) She is His Bride.
The union of Shekinah and El was never more evident than in the Sabbath. She is known as the Sabbath Bride, or the Sabbath Queen. Each week on the Sabbath, God and Goddess, El and Shekinah, act out the Song of Songs.” – Shekinah, Eema, : God the Mother & Pneuma (feminine Holy Soul “Spirit”) – http://www.northernway.org/shekinah.html
– Catholicism supports goddess worship. Although many associate Catholicism with Christianity, it actually teaches another Gospel and cannot be considered part of true Christianity, which we’ll explore at a later time (doctrines, beliefs, customs, etc). Catholics believe Mary is the mediatrix for mankind and that we must go through her to appease her son. This is unbiblical. She has never been classified as a goddess incarnate anywhere in the Bible. She was highly favored among “women.” (Luke 1:28). The Holy Spirit overshadowed her. God did not come down and have sex with her. According to the feminine teaching, the female deity would either have sex with another female or take over the body of the woman so the male deity could have sex with her. None of that makes sense.
– Mormonism supports this theology. They teach “a” god, Elohim, came down and mated with Mary to produce Jesus. Mormonism actually teaches polytheism, so it is not Christian.
Check out the first part of this clip. Silly Women
– Notice that Monica Dennington goes to great effort to stress the Holy Spirit is Wisdom and described as a woman. She also states you must bow down and accept that “she” has a seat of authority over you (a man) so that she can counter the Scripture that states a woman is not to have authority over men. If you don’t, “you have the mark of the beast in your soul.”
How did we let this get into our churches? – People want the “experience.”
Signs & wonders – We began seeking signs for the Lord to “manifest Himself.” We allowed people to tell us God was doing things He didn’t do in the New Testament nor for the hundreds and hundreds of years that followed.
Knowledge – We believed people when they said it was from the Hebrew and was what was known as the glory cloud of the OT. We didn’t question what book they used to get the name.
Secrets – Everybody wants to be “in the know.” Even though the Bible is available as an open Book, people want to know more than the person beside them. Pride.
The Bible talks about our Heavenly Father – not a heavenly mother. If you type “shekinah” into a search engine, you’ll see numerous churches with it in the name, people with the name, schools, organizations, and a boatload of people preaching about the “glory” and their experiences, which often include things like gold dust, feathers, weird manifestations, being “slain in the spirit,” etc. If it’s not in the Bible, don’t assume it should be.
“15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.” – 2 Tim 2:15-16
Mike Hoggard – full teaching on 500-year-old Mystery Revealed, Kundalini serpent & Shekinah
Mike Hoggard – Unmasking the Da Vinci Code